Congratulations! Welcome to the second trimester of your pregnancy. It is an exciting three months for both you and your growing baby.
The second trimester of pregnancy begins at week 14 and ends at the end of week 27.
For most women, the second trimester means relief from all of the unpleasant early pregnancy symptoms like nausea and fatigue. You may get your appetite back and your energy level will pick up. Your breasts will still be large, but they may not be as sore. It is exciting because you will actually start to look pregnant.
At the start of the second trimester, your baby is approximately the size of a pea pod, about 3.5 inches long. At the end of week 27, your baby will have grown to the size of a head of cauliflower.
When Will I feel My Baby Kick?
While an ultrasound can see fetal movement as early as 7 to 8 weeks, you won’t feel those little kicks until sometime between 16 and 22 weeks. If you’ve been pregnant before, you may definitely notice them earlier.
The first time you feel a little kick, it may feel like butterflies in your tummy. It is suggested that if you don’t feel any movement by week 22, you should talk to your healthcare professional.
As time goes by, you will be able to feel a pattern in your baby’s movement. If you notice that at some point your baby isn’t moving like it normally does, it may be a sign of distress and you should notify your health care professional immediately.
Second Trimester Weeks
Here is a breakdown of weeks 14 – 27, or your second trimester of pregnancy:
- 14 Weeks Pregnant – Welcome to the second trimester! At 14 weeks pregnant, your growing baby is the size of a nectarine and you start feeling healthier and more energetic.
- 15 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is now about the size of an apple and you will start noticing quite a difference in your waistline.
- 16 Weeks Pregnant – In week 16 of your pregnancy, your baby is the size of an avocado and you should start feeling movement soon!
- 17 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is growing rapidly. At Week 17 of your pregnancy, your baby is the size of a pear!
- 18 Weeks Pregnant – It is generally between 18 to 20 weeks pregnant that most women find out the sex of their baby. And in this week your baby is about the size of a bell pepper.
- 19 Weeks Pregnant – At week 19, your baby has had a bit of a growth spurt and is the size of a large mango.
- 20 Weeks Pregnant – Congratulations! You have reached the halfway point in your pregnancy. Your baby is about the length of a banana but still has plenty of room inside your uterus.
- 21 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is the length of a carrot this week and is sleeping a lot, although you may be feeling quite a bit of activity.
- 22 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is about the size of a spaghetti squash and is nearly 1 pound. Make sure you are keeping up with your doctor or midwife appointments.
- 23 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is starting to gain weight and in week 23, is the size of a papaya. Try to keep up with your prenatal exercise routine.
- 24 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is the size of an ear of corn and you may notice your belly button popping out soon!
- 25 Weeks Pregnant – At week 25, your baby weighs 1.5 pounds, the size of a large rutabaga, and is trading their lean look for some baby fat.
- 26 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby weighs two pounds, about the size of a chuck roast, and will soon start feeling a little cramped as he or she continues to grow.
- 27 Weeks Pregnant – You have made it to the last week of your second trimester! You and your baby have done a lot of hard work…your baby is now the size of an eggplant.
Now, find out all you need to know about your third trimester of pregnancy!