Congratulations! Welcome to the third trimester of your pregnancy. It is an exciting time as you anticipate the arrival of your new baby!
The third trimester of pregnancy begins at week 28 and ends at the end of week 40.
At the start of the third trimester, your baby is just over 2 pounds. These last 3 months are when your baby will pack on the pounds and finish developing all the final touches like toenails, fingernails, and hair.
Right now, you may be thinking there’s no way you can get any bigger, but your belly will continue to grow as your baby does. By the end of the 40 weeks, the average baby weighs 7 pounds and is 19 inches long. Of course every baby is different.
Every pregnancy is different too. Some babies get a little too cozy and a woman may reach week 42 of pregnancy without having their baby. If this happens, you will officially be overdue and your doctor will induce labor.
How You Are Changing
You will experience many symptoms in the third trimester. Some symptoms will simply intensify, while others will be new. Symptoms to expect in the 3rd trimester include:
- Braxton Hicks
- Stretch marks
- Round ligament pain
- Frequent urination
- Leaking from your breasts
You no doubt have many things to do to prepare to have and receive your baby. You may have the nursery to finish, clothes and accessories to buy, a prenatal class to complete. Be sure to pace yourself and rest as much as you can.
Third Trimester Weeks
Here is a breakdown of weeks 28-40, or your third trimester of pregnancy:
- 28 Weeks Pregnant – Congratulations! You are officially in the 3rd trimester of your pregnancy. Your baby is now the size of an eggplant and would have an amazing chance of survival if born this week!
- 29 Weeks Pregnant – At 29 weeks your baby is about 2.5 pounds and is the size of a butternut squash. Take time, starting this week, to count kicks.
- 30 Weeks Pregnant – This week your baby is the size of a large head of cabbage. Your baby’s brain is getting bigger this week too.
- 31 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is about the size of a coconut and is gearing up for a growth spurt starting this week.
- 32 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is as big as a Napa cabbage and if born this week, he or she would have an excellent chance of surviving without major complications.
- 33 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is the size of a pineapple and has more than likely moved into the head down position, preparing for birth.
- 34 Weeks Pregnant – Your baby is the size of a cantaloupe this week, and his or her brain is making trillions of connections and is already learning.
- 35 Weeks Pregnant – This week your baby has grown to the size of a honeydew melon, more than 5 pounds, and is about 18 inches in length.
- 36 Weeks Pregnant – You have finally entered your ninth month of pregnancy. Your baby is about the length of a head of romaine lettuce but weighs almost 6 pounds.
- 37 Weeks Pregnant – As you countdown to your due date, your baby is busy gaining weight. This week he or she is approximately over 6 pounds, the size of a small watermelon.
- 38 Weeks Pregnant – At 38 weeks, the average baby weighs 6.5 pounds and is over 19 inches in length. However, every baby is different and soon you’ll know your baby’s exact measurements.
- 39 Weeks Pregnant – This week your baby is considered full term and is just waiting to greet the outside world!
- 40 Weeks Pregnant – Congratulations! You have a fully formed baby inside you and any day now you will hold your baby for the first time!
Congratulations on the arrival of your baby!